Two bizarre Odonata tales
You'll hear more about my patch for Odonata in north Bedford as I go on. In essence, it's a 1m-wide brook with lush emergent vegetation which always looked good, but until I actually dedicated time to recording, I could never know for sure.
It's good. In fact, for this kind of limited, small-scale habitat, I reckon you'd be pushed to match it.
Saying that, it's been a strange year - unexpected positives followed by bizarre, inexplicable drop-offs:
1. Beautiful Demoiselle: This is not a Bedfordshire insect; it never has been. The faster-flowing, stony-bedded watercourses that are the hallmark of the species' existence don't really exist in the county, while the more ponderous, sludgy types very much do. As a result, Beds is arguably amongst the best Banded Demoiselle counties in the UK.
2025 was a special year here at the Renhold Brook. Beautiful D was proven to be present for the first time, and prior to this was only really at Cranfield in Beds (and perhaps Flitwick). Not just present, but in good numbers, with reliable high single figures of males from mid July all the way to early September, and a good number of females and tenerals too. They came to my attention late, so I'm not sure about the state of play in May and June 2025.
Fast forward to 2026, and it's been odd. They were by far the commoner Demoiselle species in late May and early June, and then just...disappeared. I've seen a few recently, in late July, but I'm not sure whether dispersal, competition with Banded, predation, or some other (environmental?) factor has caused this.
| Beautiful Demoiselle Calopteryx virgo (male), Renhold Brook, June 2026 (© Leo Bateman) |
2. Green-eyed (Norfolk) Hawker: I prefer the first option - this really isn't a Norfolk insect in the UK any more. I'd have justification to call it the North Bedfordshire Hawker now, based on that logic.
| Green-eyed Hawker Aeshna isoceles, Renhold Brook, end May 2026 (© Leo Bateman) |
Comments
Post a Comment